filippo-la-mantia-lametia-dopThere is no better way to introduce our website section dedicated to cooking than quoting the article published by Adn Kronos news agency on the event we organized in Rome in December 2013.

Recently, the DOP 'Lametia' extra virgin olive oil, a favourite food for US President Barack Obama and his wife Michelle, has been at the centre of a tasting event organized in Rome, where it was used as dressing for recipes that Chef Filippo La Mantia prepared with masterly skill.

The master of ceremonies was TV anchorwoman Rosanna Lambertucci; among attendees, Francesco De Lorenzo, president of the Consorzio di Tutela dell'Olio Extra Vergine di Oliva DOP 'Lametia', and Michele Anastasio Pugliese, president of the Circolo del Tiro a Volo.

The oil is obtained from the Carolea olive variety and is produced in the territories of nine small towns in the Lamezia Terme Valley, in the province of Catanzaro. Over 95% of the orchards is used for oil extraction, and so only the remaining 5%, notwithstanding its real merceological features, is used as green or black table olives. They reach full ripeness rather late, between mid-October and late December; harvesting is carried mostly manually, but also mechanically.

 The new section on cooking is under construction and will be available shortly.